Posts Tagged ‘starting seeds’

Darn weather! This thing would be done and I could have moved my lettuce outside if only the weather would cooperate. LOL, just another day I guess. I can’t complain too much. If we were having a normal winter I would still be planning this out and looking forward to starting it.

The last update showed the boys screwing the pvc posts into the wood runner on the long side of the hoop house. If you haven’t seen the start of this project you can find it here.

Since then we put on the hip boards. Mine are 30″ from the top of the runner board. I did this in such a way that I can have my sides roll up for ventilation and cooling and it can rest on this board I’ll have a picture of that when I get it all done.

These boards (2 x 4 x 8) are drilled out with a 1″ hole saw so the pvc sits in the board. I then used a 2″ screw to secure the pvc to the board. The part of the board that is outside the pvc will become the shelf that the rolled up plastic from the sides rests on. At least I hope so anyways.

We also built one of the end walls. Just standard framing. Actually the other end is going to be built a little different just to see which way works better. The lumber is standard 2 x 4 x 8’s. My door is 36″ wide and just shy of 6′ tall.

The last thing we have completed is hanging the ridge pole.  Standard 2 x 4 x 8 boards. The way I hung this is I drilled 2 small holes through the board and used some 14 gauge wire that I had for another project and just twisted it. Just link a twisty tie. The twists are on the bottom of the board so it doesn’t contact the plastic. The black wire is coming around the pvc and into the wood, then twisted tight.

Today most of the snow is gone but it is very windy so the plastic won’t be installed. Maybe tomorrow I can get the other end wall installed and the plastic on!

Read Full Post »

We have had such a long drawn out, yet mild winter it seems like spring should be here any day! A couple of weeks ago I planted 6 different varieties of lettuce. You can find that here.  Today I’ll add some pictures of what I have now and you can see that some are doing better than others. Some seedlings were lost because I had my lights adjusted wrong. But I was able to replant and am still in the lettuce business!

First up is the Simpson Elite. If you remember the last post I had the planted in 6 cell pots. Because my lights were not at the right height the plants grew way to fast and got very spindly. So I replanted them (losing a couple) in the larger 4 cell pots.


Next is the Black Seeded Simpson.


This is Red Fire.


Parris Island.


And Royal Red.

I am hopeful that by the end of this week we can have the Hoop House completed and move these all outside!


Read Full Post »

This is a continuation from here.

1st thing I did order the plastic as I mentioned yesterday.

2nd thing is I built and installed the arches! Here is what I did, and how it looks. Feel free to critique it.

The first picture shows the pvc and how I connected the two 10′ sections. I felt that using a regular 1″ coupler was not going to be strong enough. So, I cut a 12″ piece of 1 1/4 pvc to made a new coupler. The 1 1/4 slides over the 1″ perfectly. The top two pieces will slide together and form a single 20′ arch. You can see that I already drilled and put in a bolt. Next the piece under it will be slid in and then drilled for another nut and bolt. The bottom piece is complete. I used 1/4″ x 2 1/2″ bolts. I could have used a 2″ bolt instead. I also put washers on each end. When they get installed I have to make sure that the exposed end of the bolt is facing down so it doesn’t contact the plastic.

I made up 9 of these arches. With a span of 3′ that gives me a total length of 24′.

These arches slide over the 1/2″ conduit that is already pounded in the ground.

I am facing to the east as I took this picture. My regular garden is directly south , or on the right side of the hoop house.

Here I am looking to the south. You can see that with just the conduit they are pretty stable. I don’t know if I mentioned it earlier, but when I pounded in the conduit I put it at about a 30 degree angle to the piece directly across from it. That makes it a little easier to slide on. I think it will also put less stress on the lower section of pvc.

Ok. This is looking back to the west.

Here is a close up of how the bolts need to face down so the exposed bolt doesn’t contact the plastic.

If you see anything that you think or know will be a problem…PLEASE TELL ME! I will certainly appreciate it.

Also, I added the wooden boards. 2 x 6 x 12 treated pine laid vertically on the inside of the arches. The end boards are the same size but they are laid horizontal (flat on the ground). I also cut out a slot so the two pieces would fit together nicely.

Here the boys are screwing the pvc brackets to the board.

I also framed one end for the door. Just plain 2 x 4 studs. I don’t have pictures of that yet. And it snowed so I will not be working on the hoop house for a couple of days. And to top if off, my plastic was delivered today! UGH!

The next update can be found here.

Read Full Post »

Here is a link to great zip code specific planting guide. It is from the Old Farmers Almanac. Let me know what you think of it.


While you are on their site, look around the gardening section. They have a lot of information there.

Read Full Post »